29 January 2009

More Wierd Info

Adoption. Paul teaches a private lesson to a girl he met through someone at work. They just practice her conversational skills, so Paul thought it might be fun to send her home with some American sitcoms. She watched The Office, and 30 Rock. The 30 Rock episode was all about Liz Lemon wanting to adopt a baby. Anyway, it spawned a conversation about adoption in Egypt. Apparently it exists, but it's not the way you or I would have imagined it. A family can adopt on a child from an orphanage, but it is Harom to bring him/her into your home. So you can donate money and visit, but that's the extent of it. Since you don't know who the child's parents are, you don't know what kind of child it is...thus they can't be brought into your home. Sad.

There is no change anywhere! Small bills are impossible to find...and you need them! I don't know why it's such an issue, but it really, really is! Walk in anywhere with a semi-large bill and buy a cup of coffee, your guaranteed the stink eye from the cashier. I've had numerous situations where people will start asking around and digging in their pockets to even make the smallest of change. It's also common for them to run to a shop next door to get change. Coins are around, but they're fairly rare. There are paper notes for 50 and 25 piesters. A lot of cash registers will have candy in the change section of their drawers to give you in case they don't have the 25 piesters they owe you.

2 comments:

Bob said...

lol, that is so awesome. I don't know what I would do if I finished buying some toilet paper from walmart and instead of giving me my 37 cents in change they were like "here's a jolly rancher kid, now bugger off"

kushet said...

I, For one wouldn't mind. But then again, I'm a fatty who loves his Jolly Ranchers! Maybe they could mix it up with some Skittles every now and again.