02 March 2009

Paul's Debue Performance

Sometime last weekend, I had typed up a post, but the internet got all funky and I was unable to post it, so I'm posting it now.

I’m sitting at a café, and totally bored with the internet, and while I have nothing really titillating to talk about, I need something to do while I’m stuck here…so, I figured I’d blog.


Last night, Faye went to the Akon concert at the Cairo Opera House. I am not a fan, but it would have been fun to see a show in Cairo, especially since I have yet to go to the Opera house. May have been on the lucky side I didn’t make it though considering the comic disaster that ensued. Faye described it as encompassing “everything you love and hate about Egypt”. To start, Akon was supposed to perform at 9pm and wound up showing up 3 hours late due to Cairo traffic…hahaha…it’s always terrible on Thursday night. I have learned to fear the Thursday night cab ride, I can always count on panicking that I might pee myself or explode trying to hold it because we always wind up getting stuck for more than an hour. Anyway, after he got there, Faye said they heard a loud “plink-plink-plink-plink” and saw people running off the VIP stage. Apparently the two by fours supporting it began falling and the whole thing collapsed…but that’s not all, this happened to two other stages throughout the performance! But rather than people getting pissed off or canceling the show, people just moved and the concert kept going

Tonight we’re going to our friend Hesham’s for a house party, where Paul will be providing the musical entertainment. I keep telling him he needs to come up with a name, but he just rolls his eyes. He can’t be DJ Paul though…it’s boring and Egyptians can’t pronounce “P’s” so it always comes out “Boll”, which could easily be mistaken for the Arabic word for urine. Please post any and all comic/legit suggestions. ( I was told to enclose a disclaimer that Paul does not approve this message…so ummm, Paul does not approve this message, but send suggestions anyway for my viewing pleasure.)

Since I'm sure you're all wondering, Paul's performance went really well. However, Egypt picked that night to be the one time it rained, so we had to dance inside versus on the roof. He's kicking himself he didn't bring his DJ gear with him, but making due with what he has. Without an audio interface, he can't listen to the track before it's played to see how it synchs up so he gets to do everything blind. It was great to finally be out and listen to some decent music instead of hearing the same chart toppers stuff they play in all the clubs. Now our house is planning an epic 80's party to take place when my sister is here to visit. Paul is already compiling a playlist which is sure to be about as 80's as they come.

If anyone's interested, Paul has given me his playlist from his debue performance. It's not in the exact order it was played that evening, but it's got a lot of great tracks.


Start Something - Morten Sorenson
Beatific - Glass Candy
Get Yourself Together - Chaz Jankel
Itchy Hips (Original Mix) - Martin Rushent Presnts ‘Disco Unlimited’
Athene – Hercules & Love Affair
Girlsbug – Dances With White Girls
Like Some Dream (I can’t Stop Dreaming) – Daniel Wang
Toys (Richard Sen Remix) – Hedford Vachal
Happy House – The Juan MacLean
Tommy Boy – Strip Steve
Bonafied Lovin (Les Petits Pilous Remix) – Chromeo
Lights & Music (Boys Noize Happy Birthday Remix) – Cut Copy
Riddle Of Steel (Para One Remix) – Guns n’ Bombs
With You Forever – Pnau
Take Me Away – Joe And Will Ask?
Fancy Footwork (Laidback Luke Remix) – Chromeo
Music Sounds Better With You (12” Club Mix) - Stardust
Far Away (Damn Arms Remix) – Cut Copy
I Get Around (Ratcliffe Remix) – Dragonette
Pumps & Rumps (Zombie Disco Squad Remix) – Gameboy/Gamegirl
Side In (DFA Remix) – Goldfrapp
Into The Hollywood Groove (The Passengerz Mix) – Madonna
Live Fast! Die Old! (feat. Asia Argento) (The Juan MacLean Remix) – Munk
Descend – New Young Pony Club
Strangers (Strip Steve Remix) – Van She
Oh No! (PUZIQUe Remix) – Villeneuve
Theme From Space Island - !!!
My Girls – Animal Collective

8 comments:

Jyesika said...

Had no idea Paul liked to DJ! Way to go DJ Boll! I think DJ Hermreck should be a DJ so he can rock the "DJ DJ" Moniker, although I'll bet that has been done before. DJ Kansas is my only half assed suggestion. Of course that probably would be pronounced some weird way that sounds like camel poo in Egyptian.
It snowed this weekend. I was very unhappy about it.

PV parents said...

Get down Paul! Dad went out and jammed with the guitar and harmonica on the back porch this weekend (complete w/Amp). Maybe he and Paul should hook up hahaha

Bob said...

I must be less Hip then Paul, I only recognized maaaybe 1/3 of the bands on the playlist, and the only two that I actually listen to off the playlist are probably Chromeo and New Young Pony Club, well and Madonna, heh. In honor of the glory of America he should be one of these three

DJ WMD
DJ Bauh-Rock Ohhh Blam-a!
or
DJ Real men play football with oblong balls!

personally I think he needs to be DJ Bauh-Rock Ohh Blam-A!

Anonymous said...

Lord knows i have no suggestions. I'm going to go with what Jordan dubbed me cause everyone laughs. What about dj paulie-d? I don't know why, it just sounds good when you say it. Based off of iced-t, I supposed. Just add T or Fresh to the name and he should be good.

Anonymous said...

btw, I miss your face.

Bob said...

I have no idea who kmsimonetti is, but unless its your shadow I'm choosing to be creeped out by 'I miss your face'

Katie said...

Kimberly, I miss your face too!

Unknown said...

Excellent playlist. May I suggest a lil Friendly Fires in there?

schwak out.